Wooden's World of Baseball

Saturday, March 01, 2008

Three Stinkin' Games?!

Well, the schedule for Nationals Spring Traning games has been released. Needless to say, I am underwhelmed.

Buried beneath the hype of how evenly balanced the coverage of the Nationals and Orioles -- 96 games on MASN, 65 on MASN2, 40 games in HD -- is that they will televise just four spring training games with the Nationals or the Orioles, two of which will be against each other and one will be the exhibition in DC the weekend before Opening Day.

That's three games for each team out of some 30 spring training games, kids.

Last year, there were eight Nats games and seven O's games, four against each other.

Now I realize broadcasting these games is not cheap, and that sponsorship is required, blah blah blah, but.. three games?!

Call me greedy, but I had it in my head that there'd be at least two games a week, one of which being on the weekend, to help generate interest for the regular season. That's eight games. You'd think that if you were going to televise 300+ games from April to October, you might want to get folks interested in seeing more live games than games on tape from 1983.

Maybe that's just me, but what do I know? I only do marketing for a multimillion-dollar company that has far more competition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home